[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jun 28 04:36:45 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:46:23PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> It's a shame it won't be able to run OS X86, being an AMD-based system and all...

Only Apple-produced machines will run OSx86.

I'm calling my Sun sales rep on Tuesday (when I get back from vacation) and
am doing the 30-a-month-for-3-years deal.  I've been looking for an Opteron
box for a while, and if I can get a Sun-branded box with hardware warranty
*and* access to Sunsolve, i'm all over that "like a buzzard on a shitwagon"
as my dad used to say.  I want to see if I can "pay off" the three years of
support contract in one shot later, or if I *have* to pay monthly.

If I like it, I'll buy another later this year to use as the eventual
sunhelp.org replacement, once I eventually retire the 420R (or decide to
move to a colo host here in Houston).  They don't have serial ports (and
hence no serial console) - but this new KVM-over-IP dongle I'm playing with
from Logical Solutions solves that:

http://www.mrbill.net/ipkvm.jpg

Best thing is - I've got 512M of PC3200 DDR here (two 256 sticks) that
I took out of both the Mac Minis I use when I upgraded them to 512M.

Bill

--
bill bradford
houston, texas