[rescue] Installing HP-UX 11i

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Jun 28 01:10:02 CDT 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 11:32 PM, Eric Webb wrote:

> Okay, this is kinda off-topic, but if there's anyone here that can
> spare me a
> few tips on installing HP-UX 11i on some 5470's, I would appreciate
> it.  This
> will be my first HP-UX install and I've never seen one go through
> before.
> Familiar with AIX and Solaris, if that background is of any use.
>
> Questions I have are how involved is the install?  AIX, for
> example, is more
> or less toss-in-the-CD-and-go.  Solaris gives you a lot more config
> options,
> like picking packages, etc.
>

> Danke,
> Eric

Basically stick CD in... go to the initial prompt and I think type
SEA... to search for bootable devices... then bo <your cd
device>...follow instructions...

The install is moderately involved.  If you get used to the SAM
interface, it's not too hard to understand other than disk
partitioning being weird.  You probably want to use VXFS but not the
Veritas Volume Manager... unless you also have licenses for Online
JFS, and VXVM Full.

VXFS with LVM..

Here's a link to an article showing a step by step build of a Bastion
Host on 11i which I have followed through myself and is mostly
correct.  It shows you just about how much you can trim out of a
basic 11i install.

http://secinf.net/unix_security/
Building_a_Bastion_Host_Using_HPUX_11.html

Andrew

"I BET WITH SOME LIQUID COOLING YOU COULD GET TO 500MHZ! OMGWTFBBQ!"
-- Bill Bradford joking about what to do with Cyclequads