[rescue] Scotty's advice to Geordi (was Re: Follow-Up : Changing IP address in Solaris 10)

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Mon Jun 27 13:37:00 CDT 2005

Someone generated the quantum flux that came across as... Brian Dunbar
> On Jun 27, 2005, at 1:17 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:01:31PM -0500, Mike Parson wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 04:44:55PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
>>> In at least two of them, I found
>>> evidence that the previous admin would break things in odd ways to
>>> force
>>> his manual intervention.  Kinda like those movies with the sicko
>>> parents
>>> that make their kids sick, just so they can take care of them.
>>>

>> Didn't Scotty give that advice to Geordi? For those living in a   cave
>> and
>> never had a TV, It was the chief engineer from Star Trek, tell it to
>> the chief engineer in the next generation.
>>
>> Geoff.
>> --
>
> I cannot believe that I know this.
>
> Scotty told Geordi to pad his repair estimate times so when the
> device-that-goes-phht-this-week came on line in time for the big
> finish, he'd look like a good engineer.

Actually it was padding his repair estimates by a factor of four.  "How
else do you think I keep my reputation as a miracle worker".
> Saving grace - while I remember the episode, I do NOT recall the
> episode title, air dates, or much of the plot line.  I refuse to try
> and recover the memory.

"Relics."

> Sending to Geeks - unless someone can tie in Scotty, Geordi or Star
> Trek to Rescue computers . . .

Actually the episode pointed out very clearly that just because something
is old does not make it any less useful.  I think that's perfectly OT for
Rescue.  ;-)

Mike Hebel
----
"Without balance and consistent growth the only option is to degrade.
There is no other solution." - Anonymous