[rescue] Follow-Up : Changing IP address in Solaris 10

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Jun 27 13:01:31 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 04:44:55PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Mike Parson <mparson at bl.org>wrote:
> [...]
>> There were a couple of other similar question/answer sets similar to
>> that, using KILL -HUP to reload config files vs using some flag to an
>> rc type script, etc. In any case, I didn't get that gig.
>
> It rather sounds as if you don't want it anyway...

After the interview, I didn't want it.  I was still upset though, the
interviewer was rather condescending when I didn't give their approved
answers.

I was also desperate to get out of the gig I was already in,
unbelievable stupidity reigned there.  I think it was about two weeks
before I got the next interview & offer, which I took.  It tends to
work out in the end, but I am constantly impressed with the level of
imcompetance that seems to be out there in our (sysadmin) industry.
I've inherited a couple of shops that were absolute rats' nests, when
I was told going in what a GOD the person I was replacing was and how
tough it would be to fill his shoes.  In at least two of them, I found
evidence that the previous admin would break things in odd ways to force
his manual intervention.  Kinda like those movies with the sicko parents
that make their kids sick, just so they can take care of them.

Mind boggling.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org