[rescue] Looking : Sgi/Sun stuff

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 21:54:16 CDT 2005

Eric Webb wrote:
> On Sunday 26 June 2005 06:45 pm, Aaron Finley wrote:

> I don't have a lot of experience with non-laptop LCDs... but what is this
> screen door effect everyone is talking about?

If you look closely at the screen, you can see the individual pixels,
and the space between them. The space between them is not illuminated so
there is a thin black border surrounding every pixel. Now that is
extremely thin, but the effect is that of a "screen door".

In general, the lower the dot pitch, the less you are going to see the
screen door effect. The Viewsonic I ditched after 4 days has a pitch of
.264mm. The SGI I was trying to replace it with had a dot pitch of
.230mm. The difference for a perfectionist like myself is HUGE. Greys
and other shaded areas come up as "stippled" with the Viewsonic.

I am very disappointed with current LCD offerings. There is no 19" flat
panel with 1600x1200. The only true high density flat panel on the
market right now is the $6-$10k IBM T221, Viewsonic 2290B, and two
others using the same internal LCD panel.

-- Aaron