[rescue] Looking : Sgi/Sun stuff

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jun 26 12:03:07 CDT 2005

Sat, 25 Jun 2005 @ 11:44 -0400, Nadine said:

> On 6/25/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> >     - most flat panel screens are plastic, and thus fragile and harder
> >       to clean (Princeton makes some with glass)
>
> They have a textured overlay on top of the LCD--it helps with glare
> and some are polarized.
>
> Rules: no ammonia; some say no isopropyl alcohol, either.

According to the manufacturers, you can use isopropyl alcohol mixed with
water.

Benzene, ethyl, and methyl alcohols will damage the plastic.

The isopropyl works OK, but some really bad stuff is hard to get off.

The general rule is to avoid getting them dirty whenever possible.

> I use iClear on all mine (Mac thing).

iClear and the Kensington cleaner, from what I've read about them, are
basically isopropyl alcohol and water.  I don't know what else they
might have in them.

> Wacom also makes some very nice LCD panels with glass over-
> lays--for their "drawing tablets".  Of course, they are a lot more
> expensive...if I was a graphic artist, I'd be saving my toy money for
> one of 'em.

I wonder if we can expect more glass as flat-panels take over the
market?

I would just much prefer it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak
is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime