[rescue] Hitachi drives..?

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Sat Jun 25 21:52:58 CDT 2005

On 25-Jun-05, at 8:03 PM, Eric Webb wrote:

> I really don't want to start a whole thread banging drive interface
> technology
> or quality, but just looking for any honest experiences with Hitachi's
> IDE
> drives.  Seem to have longer warranty (3 yrs) than other brands.  I
> think
> I've heard that their SCSIs are decent, but never heard anyone use
> their IDE.
>
> Looking for large, cheap 3ware fodder for video storage.

Hitachi bought IBM's drive division a few years ago. I was burned badly
by the IBM 60-74GB Deskstar's, but I am sure they have got past those
issues.

I have a _LOT_ (10TB in our servers alone) of Western Digital JB series
(8MB cache) drives in our servers and workstations, but we recently
switched to Seagates because they have a 5 year warranty.

shawn