[rescue] Best video upgrade for Ultra 5?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jun 22 12:23:37 CDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:15:32 +0200
Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za> wrote:

> Now that my Ultra 2 has finally arrived, I'm tempted to put my
> mail-server-in-waiting Ultra 5 (360 Mhz, 512M, Symbios 875) into duty
> as a NetBSD workstation, running X11.  What's the best video upgrade
> for this sucker? Just looking for decent 2D performance at 1600x1200
> or 1280x1024 and 24/32-bit colour.
Convert it to a U10 with an old PeeCee enclosure and use a UPA
framebuffer? I suspect ATI Rage II / Pro is all NetBSD/sparc64 supports
on PCI. You already have an ATI chip on the mainboard. Look at the
NetBSD dmesg. There are the early "Darwin" boards with:
machfb0 at pci1 dev 2 function 0: ATI Technologies 3D Rage I/II (rev. 0x9a)
and 2 MB VRAM and the later "Darwin+" boards with:
machfb0 at pci1 dev 2 function 0: ATI Technologies 3D Rage Pro (rev. 0x5c)
and 4 MB VRAM. I think the later can do 1280x1024x24.

You can also use X11 with NetBSD on the U2. At least it runs on my U1e
with a UPA Creator 1280x1024x24.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen