[rescue] IBM Mainframe fun

Atom rescue at port11.net
Tue Jun 21 10:10:14 CDT 2005

On Jun 21, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

>>> Where to get that nice background image?
>>>

>> images.google.com search for system370 AFAIR.  Or I can just
>> uplaod it
>> somewhere. 8-)
>>

> The irony of it all is that I tried it when the fastest machine I had
> was a PII 600mHz. It was faster than the "big iron" when MVS 3.8
> was current.
>
> It's also amazing how far we have come since then. I was a big CMS
> fan,
> but I completely forgot that you had flat "disks" (no subdirectories)
> and you could only have 26 of them.
>
> The disk drives one place I worked at had at the time were 3350's,
> which
> had 2.5 gig per string of 8 (the picture below is six of them).
> They had
> 13 strings of 8 in one room (104 drives), almost the capacity of a
> large
> iPod. :-)
>
> http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_3350.html

Let's see looking in the datacenter at work right now true the glass
I spot:

6 racks IBM 3390
1 rack es/9000
Tons of IBM 3174
A few IBM 3274
Tape-drive IBM 3820
Bunch of IBM 3880
And a lot of other IBM gear that I don't feel like getting up and
looking at the model numbers.

They are heading into the dumpster as soon as there is somebody who
is willing to de install them and get out of the datacenter without
flooding the liquid cooling everywhere.

-- Atom