[rescue] Backups

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 15:13:06 CDT 2005

On 6/20/05, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:42:23PM -0400, velociraptor wrote:
>
> > My Dual Layer DVD writer is a Lite-On.  My last CD writer
> > was a Sony; in retrospect, I wish I had purchased a Lite-On.
>
> About 4 years ago when I was commuting 2+ hours each way by bus, I bought
> a SONY portable CD that played MP3 files from burned CD-ROMS. I like it
> because the drive part actually stops when the buffer is full, so it
> can run over 30 hours on a set of 2300mAh batteries.
>
> The one brand of recordable CD it won't read at all is SONY.

Sony seems very much like a company playing both sides of
the intellectual property fence.  On the one hand they advocate
DRM (being the largest single owner of "media" IP world-wide
iirc), and on the other hand they build things like the latest
"portable" DVR, USB->MD interfaces, software ATRAC
encoders to speed up moving MP3's to MDs (aka "NetMD"),
etc.

After working there, it's quite clear that only a handful of people
really know what goes on in all the parts of the company.  The
"Winchester Mystery House" corporation.

=Nadine=