[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:58:16 CDT 2005

On 6/20/05, Barry Keeney <barryk at chaoscon.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 08:40:17AM -0600, Barry Keeney wrote:
>   High end processors can't be producted in just any fab. Seems
> like Intel is always building/rebuilding fabs for the latest
> processor line.
>
>   Now if a major new product, using the same processor, comes along
> it's likely production, thru adding new fabs, would be ready for the
> new product. Nobodys going to walk up and ask for 100,000 processors
> a month out of the blue. :^)
>
>   But it's also possible that they're not running at 100% and could
> ramp up current fab(s) to meet the new demand.

Iirc, the fab OEMs have crack install/support teams that will
fly out, day or night to repair/shuffle equipment (a previous
$boss worked at Applied Materials).

Back in the early 90's I remember the folks at AMD talking
about how industry pundits thought AMD was crazy for
running 24x7 construction on their modular fab plant being
built in Austin.  But the anticipated improvements in the
design of the plant would cut enough time off swapping
around fab processes to pay for it in short order.

Funny how everything is seen as "risky" the first time it's
done for real.

=Nadine=