[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Sat Jun 18 19:20:09 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 07:42:06PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Sat, 18 Jun 2005 @ 12:35 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
> >>The way I heard it, it wasn't so much that they'd lost the protocol
> >>documentation as that there were no longer any developers there who
> >>actually understood the internals of the code any more.
> >
> > Yep.
> >
> > Same thing for Word.  I talked to some softie's in Charlottesville a
> > few years back, and they said huge portions of their code base were a
> > complete mystery at any one moment in time.
>
> Explains a lot about MS software.......

The exact same table of contents/index bug for documents over a
certain number of pages that was there in Word 6.0 is still there in
the latest version.  Probably because the bug is in a part of the code
that no one understands and they are afraid to change it in case of
further breakage.

Why people put up with that crap is due to their getting used to one
piece of software and not wanting to change; not due to any technical
superiority...

--Patrick