[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jun 18 16:57:48 CDT 2005

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 @ 08:10 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Peter Corlett wrote:
> >>All this crap needs to stop. All it does is punish the people who
> >>actually support the software providers, and software providers
> >>don't exactly have a good track record of quality and support.
> >
> > I note that Tiger is not protected. It seems to just fly off the
> > shelves.
>
> Anyone remember when copy protection was REALLY bad back about the late
> 1980s?

Personally, I think it is worse now, because it is a lot more than
just making a disk hard to copy.  It's actually invading your
other applications, compromising security, and a lot of other
ReallyBadThings(TM).

> Anyone remember how many people abandoned (for instance) Lotus
> 123 because they couldn't back it up?  The industry appeared to have
> learned the lesson then.  I guess the beancounters forgot it again ....

Hmmm... I copied Lotus 123 with no problem.  I don't recall it ever
having copy protection.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]