[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 17 07:59:59 CDT 2005

William Enestvedt wrote:
> Phil asked:
>
>>Anyone remember when copy protection was REALLY bad back
>>about the late 1980s?
>>

>    What, like requiring you to type in answers from the manual [Sim
> Earth, I believe -- which, when I lost the manual, I just dug out with
> ResEdit], or using a colored (non-photo blue?) plastic filter to read
> some text from a card that needed to be entered to install or launch the
> game?
>    Man, those were the days...

Things like that, yeah.  Or ...  Populous, which required you to go to a
specified line on a specified page in the manual and type in the Nth
word... only some of them were wrong, and there were only about a dozen
different words it ever asked for anyway.

But I was thinking more of things like 123 that would ONLY run off the
original 5.25" floppy diskette, and they'd pulled some funky tricks on
the diskette (like re-ordering sectors) to prevent you from making a
backup copy of it.

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 408-592-8081         Landline: 603-886-3518