[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jun 17 04:12:18 CDT 2005

Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
[...]
> Copy protection in general is getting more and more sinister.

> Among PC games:
>     - Half Life 2
[Description of fuckwitted protection eliminated.]
>     - Silent Hunter III
[Criminally fuckwitted protection removed.]

> I figured enough people realized the futility of this that it would
> stop, but it seems to be getting worse.

"Hey, everybody's stopping buying our software, let's add more
protection!"

> I can't back up half of my expensive software already without going
> through hours or even days of trial and error to figure out how to
> make a backup.

I gave up with commercual software years ago when I found that FOSS
generally did a better job for the tasks I want to do. The only
exceptions would be OSX Panther that came with my Powerbook, and some
second-hand games I bought for the Xbox when I figured it wasn't that
good a Linux box.

(Needless to say, the Xbox is chipped, so I can play actual backups,
as opposed to "backups".)

[...]
> All this crap needs to stop. All it does is punish the people who
> actually support the software providers, and software providers
> don't exactly have a good track record of quality and support.

I note that Tiger is not protected. It seems to just fly off the
shelves.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key

Please contribute to the beer fund and a tidier house:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZpndc