[rescue] Backups

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Jun 16 10:20:15 CDT 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> So the real question is: Can I do the backups reliably using DVD
> media? Don't talk Ghost and Nero. I use Nero all the time to archive
> data, but I'm talking about automated backups. Ghost... is good at
> what it does but for me it's not a valid backup solution.

I think so... I certainly make OK backups with them.  I used
Retrospect 6.0.212 on Mac OS X 10.4.1 to back up to DVD-R and DVD+R
DL's for my NFS mounts.

The other methods I use are:

A. multiple (sometimes in triplicate) copies on different machines
hard disks
B. every copy is on a hardware RAID5 volume

Andrew