[rescue] installing U2 without CDROM - help please!

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Thu Jun 16 07:54:51 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:01:49PM -0500, Mike Parson wrote:
> Might not have been the rarp part that was messing up, but dhcp
> definately does hork it up somehow.

Hmm... I netbooted my Ultra 5 the other night (to upgrade to NetBSD
3.0_BETA), and used the following:
- rarpd
- ISC dhcpd with bootp enabled
- root filesystem exported via NFS

Worked like a charm. My boot server is an Axil 320 (SS20 clone) running
NetBSD 2.0.2 and I use to boot sun4c/4m machines too.

One caveat: make sure the path containing your root filesystem isn't too
long - I've had issues with that on all the Sun machines I've netbooted.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/