[rescue] "I prefer a GUI"

Jeffrey Nonken jjn_rescue at nonken.net
Thu Jun 16 07:16:41 CDT 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:57:03 -0700 (PDT), Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> Anyway, it's just good practice regardless of media choice to try
> doing test restores on a completely different system to make sure
> those tapes you trust aren't "write only".  In that regard, DLT so
> far has been the most reliable for me, but I haven't tried AIT or
> LTO... and that's after lots of years playing tape monkey with QIC,
> 9-track, TK-50, DDS and 8mm tapes.  Of course, YMMV.

A cogent point. As it happens, until a few months ago I had a working
HP drive as well as the Sony, and most (though not all) of the tapes
would read on both. The HP was more likely to barf than the Sony.

But it is something I plan to be wary of, and the problem will go away
when I migrate away from DDS. I should hope. :)