[rescue] installing U2 without CDROM - help please!

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Jun 15 12:11:55 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 01:00:05PM -0400, Steve Tremblett wrote:
> On 6/15/05, Jody Stephens <jody.stephens at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Can you give us some details of your setup?  Are you positive that you
>> have all the correct daemons running? Can you grab a tcpdump of the
>> whole booting process?
>> Also what version of the prom are you running? The boot banner should
>> tell you. Also just in case, are you sure you have NFS running
>> correctly to serve up the kernel?
>
> rarp is running & working
> tftp is running & working
>
> bootparamd, dhcp, and NFS are all running but I don't see any
> requests.  tcpdump shows lots of tftp packets being sent to the client
> (UDP 516), and occasional packets from the client to the server at UDP
> 4.  I originally assumed these were ACKs but I'm guessing they are the
> next clue to investigate.

I'd shut off DHCPd while you're doing the netboot.

rarp (and /etc/ethers) should handle the IPing of the box till the OS is
loaded, dhcpd might be grabbing those requests before the (r)arpd does.

tftpd should be handing the boot image to the box, then bootparamd
should give info about the nfs root, then mountd/nfsd should do the
rest.

> The machine is at home, so I'll post some better info tonight.

I have, and still do, netboot sun 4c,4m, and a 4u boxes.  Sometimes
it works when I forget to kill off the dhcp server, but it always
works when I shut it off.  It seems to me that I could probably get
it all working under dhcp's bootp stuff, but I've not cared enough to
investigate further.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org