[rescue] installing U2 without CDROM - help please!

Jody Stephens jody.stephens at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 11:47:23 CDT 2005

On 6/15/05, Steve Tremblett <tremblett at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've gone through multiple diskless how-to's from Net/Open/FreeBSD but
> I have had no success.  The box successfully fetches the loader via
> tftp, but nothing else happens.  There is no other network traffic
> (checked with tcpdump), and the U2 console just hangs with no info.  I
> issue "boot net" and I see a hex number count up to "a000" as it loads
> the file but nothing else.  I've handed it loaders from all the BSDs
> and even tried to send it a kernel just to see what happened but
> nothing.  The server is a U10 running NetBSD.  Has anyone done this
> recently?  Are there some gotchas that aren't in the NetBSD diskless
> how-to?  (http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/)

It's been awhile since I've netbooted a NetBSD install (at least since
1.5.2 was fresh), and I know that netbooting can be a pain, but here
it goes.

Can you give us some details of your setup?  Are you positive that you
have all the correct daemons running? Can you grab a tcpdump of the
whole booting process?
Also what version of the prom are you running? The boot banner should
tell you. Also just in case, are you sure you have NFS running
correctly to serve up the kernel?

Jody