[rescue] Backups

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Jun 15 11:29:44 CDT 2005

Someone generated the quantum flux that came across as... Geoffrey S.
Mendelson> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:05:13AM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
>> I'm well aware of this however for proper streaming to the DVD-R/CD-R
>> to occur there has to be a number of things besides the burner
>> configured correctly.
>
> I've burned hundreds of DVDs on her computer and have had only one or
> two coasters that were not my fault. If you are that concerned with
> readability, NERO has a verify option, GHOST has a check the checksum.
>
> When I burn a DVD with NERO, I check the verify option and go away for
> an hour. When I come back I have a 4.5 gig DVD ready to file away.

*shrug*  Fair enough.  So it works for you.  YMMV as always...

>> Your experiences may be different but I personally do not consider
>> DVD-R/CD-R to be a good backup solution.  They're slower than a
>> properly configured tape drive and on top of that the media only lasts
>> ten years or so per current technology research.  I know people that
>> have DLTs and DEC style tape that is still good after more than a
>> decade - and will probably still be good a decade later.
>
> Some peole just can't afford anything else, if you are so rich, care to
> buy me a drive and a dozen tapes. I'll even trade you two dead DDS-3
> drives and about 30 unused tapes. :-)

Point taken.  But consider this...

I paid $40 for my DLT 4000 drive and another $5 per tape.
The SCSI controller is almost free and came with donated hardware.  Heck
if you backup off of a Non-Windows box it probably already has SCSI
installed.20/40Gig per tape versus 4.5G per DVD.

I'm not trying to be flippant here or trollish - I'm just trying to point
out that even people with little money have good options available to
them.  I saw DLT3000 drives for $30 each on E-Bay.  Worst comes to worse
you have somebody buy it and ship it to you in Israel since I know that's
an issue.  Even if you add shipping it's still worth it versus the cost of
what you're data and time is worth.

Mike
----
"Without balance and consistent growth the only option is to degrade.
There is no other solution." - Anonymous