[rescue] "I prefer a GUI"

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Jun 14 12:44:53 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:11, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> Every time I say "Bacula" somebody responds with "Amanda." Amanda
> seems OK but doesn't do everything I want it to. As for DLT, I don't
> have the resources to migrate to DLT right now, and I'm not wild
> about DLT anyway. DDS-3 is working well enough for now and I'm
> looking at alternatives for when I'm ready to change.

DDS? Ick, I used to use those.

You can pick up a DLT4000 drive and used tapes for next to nothing, the
drives usually go for no more than $20 on ebay.  DLT is a *MUCH* more
reliable medium than DDS or 8mm ever was, and is faster too.

DLT4000's do 20GB uncompressed, and DLT7000's do 35GB uncompressed.
7000s are coming down in price, and are what I've got now.

If you can't afford the $100 or so for a drive and pack(s) of tapes, you
must not value your data very much...

Pat