[rescue] email clients; was For Sale/Trade - Cobalt Qube 2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jun 14 00:03:57 CDT 2005

Mon, 13 Jun 2005 @ 08:49 -0400, Jeffrey Nonken said:

> At 11:18 PM 6/12/2005, you wrote:
> >Drat... really wishing reply did not reply to the list...
> >that's twice in about 24 hours... I must be trying to
> >set a new record for myself... <sigh>
>
> I've been thinking lately that email clients are pretty stupid in a lot of
> ways. Few of them will do threading, and all that I've seen stick with the
> standard "reply" and "reply all" options and nothing else. It's a tried and
> true paradigm but it's not the only one. We're stuck in a rut.
>
> What's needed for email lists is some new options:
>
> 1) Threading of the messages, and a simple (keyboard "shortcuts") way to
> jump to the next unread message;

mutt has excellent threading.

> 2) A new button for "reply to group";
> 3) A new button for "reply to sender";

What is a button?  :)

mutt does both of these.  Technically, it will do everything you listed
with some macros and external programs.

> I also wish Eudora would stop assuming that when I hit "reply" it's to an
> individual, and assert "you wrote" in the quote header. As far as I can
> tell there's no way to change it, even in the latest version.

Eudora is frustrating.  It has a lot of good points, but the bad ones
are so annoying I never could stand to use it.

In fact, I find using email on a Windows box kind of dismal.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]