[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jun 12 08:20:58 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:26:37AM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> i was told by a hpux 10 developer, in no
> uncertain terms, that the sV kernel was <crap>.  10.20 and probably 11
> too, had a bsd-based kernel.

The System V kernel was never designed to be a production kernel. It was
designed to provide a level of function from an R&D organization. AT&T sold
binary licenses for $60 for 2 users and $250 for unlimited users, whether you
bought it direclty from AT&T or bought it from a comapny which had a source
license ($100,000).

Circa 1990, there were at least 5 companies I knew of that had a source
license and sold "improved" versions of System V, with the improvments
being in performance. Most of that in device drivers.

I didn't even know that AT&T had a version of their own until 2 or 3 years
later when I was offered a copy of it complete with a PC emulator so you
could run mmultiple MS/DOS sessions.

I can only remember three of them, Everex (ESIX), Interactive (which later
became Solaris via a stay in Rochester), and SCO (the real one), but I'm
sure there were others. Not counting SGI, DEC, HP, Apple all of which sold
a version of System V.

I'm not counting SUN because AFIK, they did not buy a license from AT&T,
they bought a company which had a license.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
VoN  Skype: mendelsonfamily. Looking for work as a CTO or consultant in
handheld gaming, large systems development, handheld device construction, etc.
See U.S. patent applications  20050108591,  20050107165.