[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Sun Jun 12 01:53:47 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 02:40:08AM -0400, Atom wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2005, at 1:09 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > There's an active effort to port OpenSolaris to PPC too, with the
> > first
> > target goal the Open Desktop Workstation -
> >
> > http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php
> >
> > and eventually, PPC macs.  You'll hear more about it when OpenSolaris
> > goes public.
>
> I've heard some bad story's about the pegasosppc people screwing over
> the morphOS developers.
> http://www.morphos.net/

Every indication is that the pegasos folks are not good at delivering
what they promise.  But only a few motherboards are needed to produce
a reference port.  Probably device discovery and the specifics of
booting on any PPC machine are all that is needed to change once the
reference port is complete.

My guess (I don't have any inside knowledge) of Solaris's portability
is that it is pretty good, since we know that the codebase runs on
SPARC 32 and 64bit and x86 32 and 64bit, and ran at some point on PPC
(and there are hints it ran on Alpha and MIPS too).

--Patrick