[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jun 12 01:05:01 CDT 2005

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 @ 15:17 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Peter Corlett wrote:
>
> > Besides, the 64 bit support on OSX is only with the BSD API. Cocoa is
> > 32 bit only. So it is quite possible that you'll compile your
> > memory-hungry performance apps for x86-64 and your point-and-drool
> > front end for it for plain x86.
>
> I see that as a benefit.
>
> Separating the front-end from the code that does actual work typically
> results in cleaner code on both ends AND tends to keep the heavy-lifting
> code as portable as possible.

I wish we could convince most WWW developers of that benefit.

I *hate* having to work on WWW code where the application is intertwined
with the HTML interface and utterly inseperable.

Languages like PHP have encouraged this madness.

For simple things, it isn't such a big deal, but complex applications
really are a PITA to maintain when user interface code is mixed in with
the rest.

I see the lure and appeal of embedding code in HTML, but once things get
complex, it really gets hairy to maintain.

Plus, I always think: what if in the future this app needs to be
accessed from non-HTML interfaces?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are
dangerous in herds."]