[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Jun 10 10:07:31 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 10:14:32AM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2005, at 09:18, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > That plus being pure x64 would have helped.
>
> By this do you mean x86_64? Because I believe that the developer
> machines are using 3.6GHz P4 660s, which are 64 bit chips.

But if you read the documents from Apple, they tell you it is a pure
IA32 ABI.  Thanks to the frames it is hard to give a specific URL, but
if you go to here:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/index.html

And navigate to Apendix D: Application Binary Interface, you will read
this:
The IA-32 Application Binary Interface (ABI) on a Macintosh using an
Intel microprocessor is the same as the System V IA-32 ABI with the
following changes...

They also direct you to read this:
http://www.caldera.com/developers/devspecs/abi386-4.pdf

All which is saying that you are stepping backwards to 32bits only.

Hopefully they will fix this by the time they finish the transition.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/