[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 16:14:23 CDT 2005

On 6/9/05, Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at plexus.com> wrote:
> I noted with black amusement after I left that my former employer (a
> contractor) had increased their onsite staff at the Dallas Service
> Center from 10 to (I think) 30.  User head count had not increased
> but the support load had.  Win for the contractor, loss for the
> taxpayer.

My former supervisor claims that there is a pi**ing contest b/w
the guvvy IT manglers as to who has managed to solve what
problem with Exchange.  As a result, not having the problems
in the first place is given short shrift.

But, to speak to the issue of TCO...

We have about 50 UNIX servers in the dev, test, and prod
environments here (approximately 30 million hits a month),
and have 3 SAs, 3 DBAs, and about 6 apps support folks.
On the M$ side (there are some prod systems, such as the
intranet which are M$, as well as mail (Exchange :-/, NT
home dirs, etc.).  There are at least triple the number of
people to support that stuff, possibly 4x.

We aren't even allowed to go into the section of the data-
center where the Exchange boxes are at.  I guess they
wilt at the sight of *NIX SA's or something...as well they
should. ;-)

=Nadine=