[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jun 9 05:47:00 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:34:10AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> PC compatibility is not a real issue for the vast majority of PC
> owners/buyers, IMHO - they run the apps that come with the box, MS-Office,
> and whatever games they like, and that last one will have folks keeping
> actual PCs for a while longer.

Actually I think that most people run the apps that they use at work/school.
For example, my 9 year old son uses HEBREW Microsoft Word at school. He
was very disapointed to find out that his mother had English MS/Word on
her computer (supports Hebrew. but has English menues) and his computers,
a PII 300, a Powerbook 1400 and a G3 iMacDV, did not have it at all.

As you can guess, I'm trying to lure him away from the "dark side". :-)

BTW, did anyone read the article on ArsTechnica? The author pointed out
that with Motorola out of the picture, having been pissed off by Jobs,
and Microsoft and other console makers taking over the product of the
forseeable future production of G5's, Apple may simply have been frozen
out.

The expected number of G5's sold for game consoles is in the 30-50 million
in the next few years as they all have multiple processors in them and
each one is expected to sell 10M in the first year.

Microsoft alone could eat up all of Motorola (I assume Bil G. has not
gotten them angry) and IBM's production.

This is not the first time Apple looked at Intel, does anyone remember
the "Star Trek" project? It was a successfull attempt to port the 680x0
version of MacOs to the then current 80486.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
VoN  Skype: mendelsonfamily. Looking for work as a CTO or consultant in
handheld gaming, large systems development, handheld device construction, etc.
See U.S. patent applications  20050108591,  20050107165.