[rescue] From Macintouch

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Jun 7 09:23:12 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 04:57, Shirker wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > That IBM POWER5 "OpenPower" machine that I've been thinking about
> > getting is starting to look better to me now...
>
> I've just had a quick Google of this, and it's sounding rather nice
> already. Is it the OpenPower 710 you're thinking of?

Yep, there's also a 720, which is more expensive, but has the ability to
add PCI expansion boxes (which also have SCSI bays on the front of
them).

> Am I correct in thinking that there are no OpenPower workstations
> yet, only servers?

That's what it looks like.  No reason you can't use a server as a
workstation though. :)  It looks like they don't have any POWER5
workstations yet though; the only workstation they have listed on their
pSeries page is a POWER4+ box.  It's only a matter of time before they
release a desktop box with a POWER5 in it... until then you can always
stick a rack next to your desk.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/