[rescue] From Macintouch

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Mon Jun 6 23:54:38 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:23:04PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 05:38:48PM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> > Also, though I've not seen/heard the keynote myself, they say that
> > Apple is telling us that there will be a PPC emulator (this one?
> > http://www.transitive.com/) that runs PPC software on x86 and x86
> > software on PPC with "nearly" no performance hit. Uhh, what? Any info
> > about this? Sounds utterly ridiculous to me.
>
> PPC on x86, but not the other way around.  They call it "Rosetta".

Thing is, if there is little performance degradation, then Apple's
claims of the CPUs being faster than Intel's looks like a lie.

I think that Apple will have seriously reduced hardware sales for the
next year.  The iPod and iTunes will have to hold their bottom line up
for them until the first x86 boxes ship.

--Patrick