[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:19:13 CDT 2005

On 6/4/05, Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2005, at 3:00 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> > *cough*
> >
> > Ahem.
> >
> > Your company runs -=Microsoft Exchange=- and thinks that -=IMAP=- is a
> > security concern?
> >
> > Can I too get a job in information systems management if I remove my
> > brain with a melon baller?
>
> Possibly... our IT department is incredibly feeble and stupid.  I
> avoid dealing with them completely.  If people remember back to when
> we had a local office in NYC, I was running a hidden NetBSD firewall
> under their noses to allow an unrestricted subnet proper access to
> the Internet without them getting uppity about putting our tech
> machines under their control (a lot of it was my own personal
> hardware; all of it used to do our jobs) -- a recipe for disaster
> since one of those boxes was HP-UX, one was an SS20, and one was a
> Powermac G4 running OS X... and they have zero corporate clue about
> UNIX or MacOS.

The people here doing the "survey" for the $new_prime on my
job refer to the UNIX admins/app support team as the "grownups"
of the company.  They are pretty much allowed to run things the
way they want and given a lot of rope because everyone knows
the stuff they do "just works" and "gets done" without a lot of
oversight.

Now, if we can just get $new_prime to see the feeble-ness of
allowing non-UNIX non-grownups to run the firewall, IDSes, and
backups...

=Nadine=