[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Andrew Jones aijones2 at bsu.edu
Sun Jun 5 13:30:03 CDT 2005

 > The x86 architecture is a millstone around Intel's neck and they know it.
 >
 > They have tried TWICE to get away from it, first with the 860/960
 > series chips, then with Itanium; both times they pretty much failed.
 >
 > I think they have pretty much given up on the idea and instead are
 > trying to add somewhat proprietary extensions to x86 in order to have
 > lock-in.

Three times.

The iAPX 432 in the early eighties,  The i860 in the early 90s,
and the Itanium from 2001 onwards.  (The i960 was actually a derivative of
an attempt to implement the 432 ISA in microcode for a RISC chip)

As for the Apple thing, my bet is on wireless chipsets.  What would Apple
need/use XScale or x86 for?