[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Jun 5 11:28:48 CDT 2005

On Jun 5, 2005, at 3:53 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 01:14:32AM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
>
>> I didn't get the impression that Apple would be going Intel in order
>> to make Windows-compatible machines. Why would they care about that?
>> They already sell completely Windows-incompatible stuff, and why does
>> the world need another Dell/HP/Compaq/Gateway/... anyway?
>>

> It might have "Intel Inside", but it WONT have a legacy BIOS.  I'm
> betting they'll stick with OpenFirmware.  I know it can be done on
> x86 - look at NetApp filers.
>
> Bill

My point is that such a product would be taboo to a general purpose
market.  The x86 in general is known to be open.  If you have one
that isn't, it will be perceived automatically as crippled by the
mass market.  It will sell just about as well as an SGI 320 or 540...
even SGI went back to regular FeeCees in that line.

While us geeks may buy such a machine due to the merits of having
real OF on x86, nobody else will.

Andrew

"I BET WITH SOME LIQUID COOLING YOU COULD GET TO 500MHZ! OMGWTFBBQ!"
-- Bill Bradford joking about what to do with Cyclequads