[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Sat Jun 4 17:15:10 CDT 2005

on 6/4/2005 1:21 PM pat at computer-refuge.org wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 10:00:00AM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:

>>The fact that Apple is profitable despite the fact that IBM/Moto can't get
>>the PPC scaled to 3+ Ghz - YET - is quite remarkable.  Given time, I would
>>trust that IBM can and will catch up with the x86 world in terms of clock
>>rates (despite what bunk we here know that is, and how much Apple spent on
>>marketing to counter the "Mhz Myth").

> The fact that you've even mentioned it means that you must think it's
> still a relevant measure between different processor types...

It *is* a relevant measure when you are talking about market share, if
only because so many people out there *think* it is a useful way to
compare processor architectures despite the actual technical truths.
People want a single easy comparison that they can tell themselves they
understand, and "higher number = faster = better" is about as easy as
they come.

Nothing I saw in Chris's response indicated that he thought it was a
valid *technical* measure, and his point is valid -- Apple has done a
very good job of selling systems despite the fact that their systems are
based on a chip whose architecture is commonly perceived as vastly
slower *by the mass market*.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
"Aikido is based around the central precept of letting an attack take