[rescue] Compiling things on slow systems

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Jun 3 08:02:53 CDT 2005

On Thursday 02 June 2005 17:50, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> When I compile things on my U5 (with an IDE hard disk), I use the
> "screen" command to give me a virtual terminal. I can then disconnect
> at will and reconnect when I want to check on things.
>
> To me the IDE controller of a U5 is a blessing, I got it as part of a
> trade for a camera, stuck a 60gb IDE drive and a combination CD
> writer/ DVD reader drive in it.

You could put an Ultra/100 or Ultra/133 controller in the U5... of
course, that may not work with your proprietary OS of choice.  I've
stuck an Intel 64-bit PCI 1000BaseT nic, USB 2.0, and ATA/133 card into
an Ultra 60 before just for the fun of it.  All cards that aren't
"Solaris compatible". :)

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/