[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Brian Howe bwhowe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 22:42:50 CDT 2005

Yes, remote gui apps and desktops do take a performance hit over a
KVM, however... they cost a hell of a lot less, require less
hardware/power consumption and, considering its an Ultra5, the graphic
performance is NOT the biggest priority. If you want decent
performance on a graphical desktop, you are going to want to get an
Ultra 60 or better. Even an Ultra 10 can run circles around a 5.

What new code are you referring to? Please cite examples.

On 6/2/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Thu, 02 Jun 2005 @ 19:32 +0000, Brian Howe said:
>
> > There are several iterations of vnc available... my personal choice is
> > tightvnc.
> >
> > If you are running X on one box (say from NetBSD or OpenBSD), you can
> > use Xnest to get your display from the Solaris box in a window on your
> > BSD box - 'Xnest -query <IP> :1' or something like that. I get my U1
> > to display it's desktop that way to save my meatspace desktop real
> > estate.
>
> Unfortunately, things like remote X and VNC only work if you can afford
> the performance hit.
>
> If you need local display performance, a KVM is really the only way.
>
> Also, new code is coming out that won't run remotely, period, even X
> stuff.
>
> I'm wondering how or even if that sort of thing will be addressed in the
> future.
>
> --
> shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are
> dangerous in herds."]

Brian Howe
bwhowe_at_gmail_dot_com
- press to test