[rescue] Now Bad magic number was Re: 18 gigers in an Ultra 2? Ultra 1 ?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 2 22:29:24 CDT 2005

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at mail.zill.net>
>Date: Thu Jun 02 13:15:26 CDT 2005
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Now Bad magic number was Re: 18 gigers in an Ultra 2?
Ultra 1 ????

>On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 11:00:48AM -0700, Paxton wrote:
>> Well I put them in the U2 and they say:
>>
>> Bad Magic number in Disk label, Can't open disk label package.
>>
>> This happens with both. Then it looks for a network logon.
>
>It can't boot from the drive, so it tries to boot from the network,
>which is standard behavior for Suns.
>
>You need to format the drive, even on another machine, so that the Sun
>box can work with it.

You can boot from CD-ROM (stop-a to get the "OK" prompt, then type boot
cdrom), then when you get a GUI desktop, right-clicking in an unused area of
the desktop will allow you to start up a terminal session. Once that session
is started, run "format", label the drive with the default partition map,
write the label to the drive, then exit. Repeat for the other drive. Then you
can exit the terminal window, continue with the install, and it should be
fine.

Solaris won't look for the drives right away during an install.