[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 21:44:45 CDT 2005

On 6/2/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Also, new code is coming out that won't run remotely, period, even X
> stuff.
>
> I'm wondering how or even if that sort of thing will be addressed in the
> future.

What applications are you referring to?

Apparently Websphere customers have complained about this
enough that they have changed it so that you can just use a
browser (before the admin tool was a java-thru-X app).  Unfortunately,
it appears as if this migration is not complete, as it apparently requires
a *local* browser running on the box.

Weblogic does not require either.  You tunnel to a port, authenticate
via a browser and the whole administrative interface is available
there.  I don't have much good to say about Weblogic, but there was
that.

IMNSHO, the "you must run a local graphical application" posture on
the part of application vendors is a HUGE step back.  More and
more companies are trying to gain efficiencies in their operations
by aggregating servers in data centers.  This kind of  approach
allows potential customers to write their apps off and not even
consider a product which can't be administered remotely.

=Nadine=