[rescue] Firefox and Google Maps ?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jul 27 12:02:42 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:02:25PM -0500, Wes Will wrote:
> >On Linux/x86 Firefox 1.0.5 works fine with Google Maps.  I noticed that
> >1.0.4 had some issues where printing form it caused a printer here to
> >crash.
>
> The -printer- crashed?  Now THAT'S some seriously mal-formed Postscript!

It is a PCL printer made by Kyocera.  Obviously the printer is partially
to blame no matter what as a big enterprise printer shouldn't let a bad
print job crash it.

After that, I don't know whether to blame firefox or ghostscript or the
printer.  Maybe ghostscript made correct PCL, but the printer didn't
like it because it had a bug.  Ghostscript prints to a real laser jet
with the same version of PCL happily.  And maybe there really
was a printing bug in firefox (after all, upgrading made the problem go
away).

With firefox 1.0.4, I could save to a file, convert the file to pdf
(which created a PDF file that xpdf didn't like but ghostscript was OK
with), then use ghostscript (not xpdf) to print the PDF file and it
worked.  That was way too many hoops to jump through though.

BTW, the postscript outputted by firefox 1.0.4 was good enough for
Minolta and Lexmark PS printers.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net