[rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Thu Jul 21 12:01:17 CDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:
> > I think that cubes got started because some research indicated
> > that it made people feel more connected to their coworkers, or an
> > integral part of the company, or something like that.
>
> That may have been the public rationale.  I'm sure the real reason is
> cube farms are a hell of a lot cheaper than putting the same number of
> people in usable offices.

  Not really, The real savings come from the fact they're easier to
change.

  A few years back I was working in a large building and my section
was getting completely redone. (50ft by 200ft). I talked to our
manager about why they didn't put up walls/offices. He said cubes
were a little more then walls/desks, but easier to install and
later make changes.

  I'm just glad that my current job I get an real office, to
myself, with a locking door and a window (looks over to the county
dump, but it's better then nothing...)

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."