[rescue] Semi-OT: James Doohan has died

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Jul 20 14:59:55 CDT 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 11:52 AM, William Enestvedt wrote:

> Normally I don't post breaking news, and I'm decidedly not a Trekkie,
> but it seems appropriate to note on this list -- of all places -- that
> James Doohan, "Star Trek"'s Scotty, has passed away.
>    http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&q=Doohan&btnG=Search+News
>    For all systems administrators, who make a living keeping systems
> running and playing nice, this actor's character must have been
> something of a role model.
> -wde

There are other reasons to see Doohan as an inspiration - he enlisted
then landed as an Royal Canadian Artillery officer on D-Day, getting
shot up after he crossed the beach.  Seven rounds found him,  the
eight deflected by a cigarette case in his breast pocket.

That at least is something to raise a glass to.

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator II
Desk: (920) 751-3364
Cell: (920) 716-2027