[rescue] Semi-OT: James Doohan has died

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed Jul 20 12:38:02 CDT 2005

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 09:55:50AM -0700, Gary wrote:
>

>>*raises glass of Romulan Ale*
>

> Hey!  Where did you manage to find a supplier of that?

I have a recipe. A range of recipes, in fact, depending on the proof
level of what you have available to make it with:

<paste>

Romulan Ale
The following is adapted from Don F. B. Reed's set of recipes for
Romulan Ale, originally posted at alcuin.com in 1996.  Beware, it's more
potent than it tastes...  but then, you knew that, right?

The proportions listed below assume 60-proof Blue Curacao (Bols or De
Kuyper) and the ready availability of 100-proof vodka (Stolichnaya or
comparable).  The variations based upon high-proof vodka tend to have
slightly better flavor than those based on Everclear (neutral grain
alcohol).  Water should be spring or distilled, or failing that,
filtered if possible.

Recipe with 190-proof Spiriteuse or comparable vodka:
400ml Blue Curacao
400ml 190-proof vodka
200ml water
6 drops orange flower water
Overall proof:  100

Recipe with 190-proof Everclear or other neutral grain alcohol:
400ml Blue Curacao
400ml 100-proof vodka
200ml 190-proof Everclear
6 drops orange flower water
Overall proof:  102

Recipe with 153-proof Everclear or other neutral grain alcohol:
400ml Blue Curacao
500ml 153-proof Everclear
100ml water
6 drops orange flower water
Overall proof:  100.5

Recipe with 150-proof Wyborowa or comparable vodka:
400ml Blue Curacao
500ml 150-proof vodka
100ml water
6 drops orange flower water
Overall proof:  99

Recipe with 100-proof Stolichnaya or comparable vodka:
300ml Blue Curacao
700ml 100-proof vodka
6 drops orange flower water
Overall proof:  88

Note:  Never serve Romulan ale at diplomatic functions.  --  James
Tiberius Kirk

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518