[rescue] [SunHELP] Setting backspace key

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Tue Jul 19 20:08:25 CDT 2005

velociraptor says ...
> On 7/19/05, Sheldon T. Hall <shel at tandem.artell.net> wrote:
> > Story time!  20 years ago, when I worked for Crosstalk ...
[snip]

> Crosstalk...d00d you are _old_. ;-)

It wasn't nearly my first job, either.  I'd already been a mainframe
programmer, done a late-seventies microcomputer software start-up, put in a
couple of years at Peachtree Software, and done an early-eighties
microcomputer software start-up.

_Then_ I went to work at Crosstalk.

I didn't do any of that until I gave up playing rock'n'roll and building
racecars.

> Of course, it says something that I both remember it, and used
> it...

As did millions of other people.  Some still do.  One client for whom I
wrote a Crosstalk-based satellite communications system still seems to be
using it.

I mean, where else could you get a comms program with multi-session
capabilities, a real programming language, and its own windowing system?
Especially one that will run on a '286.  If I had to do some kind of console
for multiple systems, or anything for serial comms, that's _still_ what I'd
use.  I've got enough multi-serial boards to handle serial connections from
more machines than I'd have the electricity to power-up.

Yeah, I am old ... but I think I still have one more start-up left in me.

-Shel