[rescue] E250 rack-mount

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 16 10:59:51 CDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:02:35 -0400, Eric Webb <ttlchaos at randomc.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 14 July 2005 12:27 am, Kevin Loch wrote:
>> Eric Webb wrote:
>> > The ISP at which I'm doing my co-lo is kinda weird... all their
>> customer
>> > co-lo racks are standard telco racks... How stupid does that sound?
>>
>> Been there Done that.  I'ts reasonably stable near the bottom with
>> a center weighted shelf and the server center of gravity close to
>> the rails.  I would not try any other configuration on a 2 post rack.
>
> Well, they did agree to move me down to the bottom, so that will help
> (my old
> space was at the top!).  And I did bitch and complain about the 2-post...
> apparently there's new direction in their group and there are plans to
> replace the 2-posters with 4-posters.  I complained I was worried about
> safety yadda yadda...
>

> So, I guess getting "rails" is useless without four posts.  Do I just
> get a
> cantilevered shelf and be done, or is there some other way I can try to
> anchor this thing beyond gravity?
>

> -E.

Well, to answer the original question, Sun's catalog number for their
rackmount kit is 595-4872-03 (and there's also another number, "X9695A",
that probably goes to the expansion option or something).  There's a
company called SharkRack that made (and still makes) a lot of custom rack
stuff, and their 4-post option for the E250 is here:
http://www.sharkrack.com/index.php/product_details/product_ID/13.html?sid=ksbreeerhg1skieg6eiei8gve7

They also make a rackmount kit for the E450 (with the wheels still
attached!).  Unfortunately they're a bit on the expensive side.