[rescue] Replacing CPU cooler fan on ultra 1

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Sat Jul 16 09:20:05 CDT 2005

On Jul 16, 2005, at 5:56 AM, Jonathan Groll wrote:

> Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>
>> Every Ultra 1 I ever saw with a fan on the CPU had the 'fifth' screw.
>> What I've done is replace the fan with a similar sized one off of a
>> PeeCee heatsink of some sort. Just remove the 4 screws then remove the
>> fan. Then just slide the replacement into place and leave the 5th
>> screw
>> where it is. I just rebuilt the fan setup on 4 U1's I will be putting

> Great idea, I think your way is better than mine.
>
> My original thoughts were to just leave the broken fan in place where
> it
> was and add another big fan on top of that above the plastic shield.
> This should have (a) extracted  the heat anyway (b) the airpressure
> should have made the broken fan spin.

The old fan will just get in the way. If it is like most worn out U1
fans I ever saw it is seized and will not spin if you blew hurricane
force wind at it.

> However, what I didn't take into account was that the cooling of the
> cache control chips might be weaker:
>
>> That plastic cover channels air toward the heatsinks on the cache
>> control chips.

> Isn't it strange that the original Sun designers didn't seem to want to
> take into account common component break down - cooler fans will
> eventually breakdown, NVRAM batteries will go flat....

That's just suit think in corporate Amerika Inc. You are supposed to be
a good customer and buy a new workstation when those old slow machines
get to be 2 or so years old....

--
Mike N