[rescue] E250 rack-mount

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Jul 16 08:16:28 CDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 11:11 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> Is rack mounting gear always this messy?  My HP rack at home also
> seems
> to have basically the same sort of "side ears" in it that the rack at
> work does.  Does this mean that when I get more proper rack mounted
> gear
> for home it is unlikely to fit as well?

No... not really... you just have to be lucky enough to rescue rails
with your hardware, a rack with standard screw holes, and every now
and then when doing a rack-mounting job, ask for the extra rack
parts... I have quite a collection of square mounts and other
miscellaneous rack parts that aren't used... if you really want, you
can get whatever style the company isn't using for rail options.

All my equipment in my APC rack is mounted properly... which means...
one Proliant 6400R on slide out rails, one NetApp FC9 (ears only...
but thick plates... directly on top of the 6400 with no gap), Compaq
7 disk SCSI JBOD with slide rails, Compaq 7 disk drive array above
that on a shelf (meant to be on a shelf since it has no rack mounting
holes for rails of any kind), and a FDDI Hub and a dumb switch both
ear mounted at the top of the rack.

Andrew

"I BET WITH SOME LIQUID COOLING YOU COULD GET TO 500MHZ! OMGWTFBBQ!"
-- Bill Bradford joking about what to do with Cyclequads