[rescue] E250 rack-mount

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Jul 14 10:44:57 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:05:08PM -0700, Isaac wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>> Eric Webb declared on Thursday 14 July 2005 12:50 am:
>>> The ISP at which I'm doing my co-lo is kinda weird... all their
>>> customer co-lo racks are standard telco racks... How stupid does
>>> that sound?
>>
>> It sounds like they're f'ing morons, and you should run far, far away
>> very, very quickly.
>
> Most of the big name co-lo facilities on the east coast I've worked
> in over the years use 2 post relay racks in customer cages almost
> exclusively.
>
> OTOH, there were no seismic codes to comply with. I've never seen a
> relay rack on the west coast holding anything but patch panels and the
> like.

Quite a few jobs back, I worked for a large ISP here in Austin, we
did big colo stuff (even had Deja.com for a while).  We got bought
by a telco that wanted to build bigger and better colo facilities.
Their first idea was a big room, all telco relay racks and overhead
ladder-rack for running the cables, build chain-link enclosures for the
bigger customers.  Their reasoning was that this was what they saw when
touring Exodus' facilities.  They also wanted to do it all -48V DC, but
that was just their telco prejudice showing through.

We insisted that the way we'd been doing it was what our customers had
wanted, not a single customer had ever come in asking for what they
wanted to build.  We talked them down to doing just 1/4 of the space
as relay racks, one row of -48V DC, and raised floor.  The only people
using the DC power were the other telcos that were puting in their gear
to serve up T1s and T3s.  The last time I was in that facility (just
over a year ago), they were down to 2 rows of relay racks, the rest was
4 post enclosures.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org