[rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Mon Jul 11 21:10:39 CDT 2005

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> i got to chat up a local high-end-store salesman recently [tweeter
> etc, for those who care].  his professional opinion: plasma tvs are
> disposable.  they look good at first, but they fade significantly in
> about a year, and since the tube is such a large fraction of the cost
> you can forget about replacing it.

I've heard they have lifetime issues too, indeed.

> he recommended lcd projectors if you really need something big.  yes,
> they don't have the viewing angle.  if you have the headroom for it, a
> ceiling-mounted lcd projector and front-projection screen does better.
> you can get a pretty good projector for ~$2k...  and up to 10'
> screens.

I've been unimpressed by LCD projection TVs.  They're dim, dull, and the
viewing angle is poor.  The new DLP sets are significantly better and
brighter, but still rather lacking IMHO.

A ceiling-mounted projector is, indeed, the other way I was considering
going, but it'd probably have to wait until we own instead of rent
again.  If that ever happens.

Frankly, by the time a projector is a realistic option for us, I expect
to be able to bring home a 10' OLED screen rolled up in the trunk of the
car.

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518