[rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jul 11 20:55:51 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:39:45PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> i got to chat up a local high-end-store salesman recently [tweeter
> etc, for those who care].  his professional opinion: plasma tvs are
> disposable.  they look good at first, but they fade significantly in
> about a year, and since the tube is such a large fraction of the cost
> you can forget about replacing it.
>
> what little i know about gas-discharge tubes makes this sound
> plausible.

>From what I've been hearing, pro users tend to be more savage about
plasmas than anything else.

> he recommended lcd projectors if you really need something big.  yes,
> they don't have the viewing angle.  if you have the headroom for it, a
> ceiling-mounted lcd projector and front-projection screen does better.
> you can get a pretty good projector for ~$2k...  and up to 10'
> screens.

I haven't seen an LCD projector that looked good in anything less than
near total darkness.

Personally, from what I've seen rear projected DLP sets seem nicest for
large screens that will be viewed in anything other than darkness.  I
know they can have some color smearing, but so far that hasn't offended
my eyes as much as what plasmas tend to do to color.

For a serious home theater, front projection is probably the best all
round way to go though, though personally I'd be tempted to scale back
to a large CRT, but then I'm weird that way and I'd like a projector for
other uses anyway.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net